Hello note.

Hi, welcome to the clocktower. I'm Alex. Here's my "This I believe" Podcast by the way if anyone is wondering why it's not in my sidebar (was it supposed to be?): Podcast Link

Monday, January 29, 2007

NPR: "This I believe"

Today in English, we recieved an assignment to listen to and respond here to 3 speakers on NPR's "This I believe". The link to the list of speakers that I was choosing from is here. The three speakers I chose to respond to were: Temple Grandin ("Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures") , Studs Turkil (Community in Action) , and Ronald Hoffman (The Tense Middle).

"Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures" is written by Temple Grandin, who has autism. She designs holding pens for ranches and slaughterhouses. Because she has autism, she says that she is able to synthesize lots of information and create systems out of it. She says that she would not want to become normal because that will cause her to lose this ability. I think that this is inspiring, even though she is at some disadvantage Temple Grandin still refuses believe that she is inferior to non-autistic people. This shows determination.

"Community in Action" is written by Pulitzer prize winner Studs Turkil. He speaks about how cooperation of the community has helped everyone. He says that a community can accomplish things that are impossible for an individual.

"The Tense Middle" is by Professor Ronald Hoffman. He says that he prefers being in the middle of things, rather than at the extremes. He talks about how being in the middle gives you choices, balance, and the ability to change. He mentions that the idea that somthing is either one way or another is impractical and unnatural and that life is not as simple as the world, political forces, etc. make it out to be. I agree with him on his essay.

1 comment:

Colton said...

I strongly believe that a community can be stronger than an individual. A group or couple of people can be so strong with a little help from cooperation. There is a different level past individualism (made that up?), which is cooperation with multiple people, and it is a new level on wehich to learn new things whether the be greater or not. It all ads up to different types of learning different things.